food banner

food banner

Tuesday 26 August 2014

Oaty Apple Crunchable

With this wet autumnal weather I'm craving hot wintery dishes! I call this a crunchable: it hits the spot just like a crumble, but has healthy oats and only takes five minutes!

The toasted oats and caramelised sugar give a nice crunch. It works as a topping for any kind of stewed fruit, or use tinned fruit for an instant treat. Last week I collected a load of mixed windfall apples which I stewed gently for about ten minutes with sugar, cinnamon and a knob of butter.

Serve with hot custard, or cold ice cream! I ate mine with toffee frozen yoghurt - stay tuned for my recipe!


This recipe makes enough for one lucky person:
  • 2 handfuls of oats (no measuring here!)
  • 1 handful brown sugar
  • Knob of butter
  1. Take a frying pan and melt the butter on a moderate high heat
  2. Toss the oats and sugar in the hot butter.
  3. Stir until the oats go nutty and the sugar starts to melt and caramelise. This only takes a few minutes, don't let it burn!
  4. Tip the hot mixture on top of a hot bowl of stewed fruit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment