food banner

food banner

Sunday 8 February 2015

Sweet Potato Muffins

I had some sweet potatoes that needed using up so, I totally winged this recipe and I'm amazed how they turned out! I've never had much luck with muffins recipes, but these turned out light, fluffy and delicious! They're accidentally vegan, if only because I didn't have any butter or eggs so I used vegetable oil and tofu! Tofu, in a cake you say? Madness! But they turned out great, you'd never know!


Makes 10
  • 250 g sweet potato, finely grated
  • 250 g self raising flour
  • 2 tbsp rye flour (or wholemeal, optional)
  • 120 ml vegetable oil
  • 100 g tofu, mashed
  • 50 g golden raisins or sultanas
  • 170 g sugar
  • 2 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  1. Mix everything up in a big bowl to a smooth consistency.
  2. Preheat your oven to 190C.
  3. Spoon into muffin cases (I use silicone ones, much easier). The mixture should come to the top of the casing so it bulges outward in the classic muffin-top shape.
  4. Pop into the hot oven for 25-30 minutes.
  5. Leave to cool, pop on the kettle, and enjoy!

Variations

For that extra bit of indulgence and style give them a cream cheese icing, like a carrot cake. They're quite delicious by themselves.

Orange zest would also be a good touch, I didn't have any! For a nutty crunch add a handful of chopped walnuts, pecans or sunflower seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment