food banner

food banner

Sunday 5 June 2016

Tomato bean salad

Part of the reason I write down these recipes is just for myself - I invent something random that's so nice I want to make it again! This is a simple bean salad I made to use up some leftover pasta sauce and some cooked beans. Yum.

I served it with a simple carrot and ginger salad that's very nice though hardly worth writing a separate recipe for! (Grated carrot, grated ginger, splash of rice wine vinegar, simple.)

  • 1 quantity tomato pasta sauce
  • 1 can borlotti beans (or cooked equivalent)
  • 2 juicy tomatoes, skinned and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
  • Half tsp smoked paprika
  • Glug of red wine vinegar
  • A few sundried tomatoes, chopped
  • Slosh of oil from the sundried tomato jar
  • Lots of salt & pepper
  • Inch of my seitan chorizo, in chunks
It's really as simple as stirring it all together! The oil and vinegar are the dressing so add as much as you like. Taste it and season generously, then leave for at least an hour in the fridge. Taste it again for seasoning before serving.

Variations

Really any haricot-type beans will do. Red peppers make a nice addition. Fresh herbs parsley or basil would go great in this, I didn't have any to hand.

My vegan seitan gives extra flavour and texture but isn't necessary. Give it a go though!

No comments:

Post a Comment