food banner

food banner

Tuesday 15 April 2014

Custard Tarts

When life gives you leftover eggs and pastry, make custard tarts! After my pie-making session the other day I had some scraps of pastry and most of a beaten egg left over. Whenever you make pastry there are always trimmings, so this is a great way of using it up that I'll definitely use again.


I mixed an equal amount of plain yoghurt with the egg, plus a couple of tablespoons of sugar. I roughly rolled out the leftover pastry and used it to line two silicon muffin cases, poured in the egg mixture, and sprinkled it all with nutmeg. Since the pies were still cooking in the oven I put the tarts in at 200C for the last 15 minutes of baking. A great unexpected treat!

I actually left these in slightly too long since I was busy, take custard tarts out when they're still quite wobbly as they carry on cooking even when out of the oven. Normally you'd use cream but I had yoghurt handy, it gives them a slightly grainy, cheesecakey texture.

Even so, they were yummy, and I ate them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment